Friday, May 20, 2011

Health

I’m on a forced hiatus from my business. Well, “forced” isn’t entirely accurate. It’s a choice that the universe is conspiring to strongly suggest I take. Like a loanshark strongly suggesting I pay my debt pronto. I’ve been sick lately – a lot. This is not unusual, but it’s getting annoying.

I generally spend a lot of time obsessing about what I’m going to do with my free time. I want to make money while indulging creative pursuits and that’s what I obsess about. I’m too sick to do much of anything when the free time finally arrives. I suspect that obsessing about my free time is a lot of the reason I end up being sick.

Living within my means is changing this dynamic. There is no impending financial crisis. I want to indulge in my habitual panic about money, but it’s not necessary. Everything is fine. How odd.

Yesterday, I realized that my next task is to get healthy. I need to forget about making money from creatiivity until I can maintain good health on a regular basis. I know all the things I need to do to be healthy. I even do some of them now and then. You know – eat well on Wednesday, exercise Saturday, floss on Monday, meditate next week. It’s not enough.

To get healthy I also have to make it a priority to have fun. You would think this would be easy. You would be wrong. I’m not used to combining the pursuit of pleasure with fiscal responsibility. I either willfully ignore my financial condition to do whatever strikes my fancy or continually postpone enjoyment while pursuing an endless list of financial goals. Moderation is not my forte.

So Thursday I spent a lot of time sitting on the porch with my feet up on the railing. I watched the trees and the birds and my dog and cat. I pulled some weeds in the garden, went out for lunch, then drove up a long country road just to see where it went. It was a beautiful day and I felt good afterwards. I may learn to enjoy good health.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear your not feeling well. Please remember one thing -> without health you have nothing!
    Take the time to get healthy, feel good, enjoy life. The rest will follow.
    ...Don't stress too much!
    As for the spendthrift... I admire that!
    I am more aware of why my mother was so thrifty
    when I was growing up. The current economy has been a huge reality check for me. I have become very frugal...but that doesn't stop me from a ice cream cone once in a while!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Karen. I'm surprised at how hard it is to leave the business alone. I'm so used to thinking about it all the time. But my health is definitely more important. I hope to learn to balance both once I get healthy again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you hit the nail on the head when you mention consistency. Living on the road, thats the hardest thing for me. We hike 5 times one week, then not at all for 2 weeks. I have weights to use, but only use them about once a week or so. I used to go to a gym 4 days a week. that worked much better for me.

    ReplyDelete