Sunday, May 15, 2011

Enough Is Enough

For the past year and a half, I’ve been burdened by a freeloader in my life. It’s my own fault. I invited her in. I did nothing, month after month, as she drained my resources. She’s charming and fun, but she never cleans up after herself and she doesn’t pay her bills. Who is this freeloader? I’m sad to admit, she’s my very own quilting business, By A Thread.

I started this business with money I’d inherited from my mother. I was happy to pour this money into any tool or service that might establish and grow my business. I’ve had fun. I’ve made some beautiful things. Complete strangers have spent their hard-earned money on them and been happy about it. Unfortunately, there haven’t been enough sales to come close to covering the investment I’ve made in this business. Sure, one has to invest to build up a business. But By A Thread has become fat and lazy on the artificial cash flow. It’s time for her to get in shape and start paying her own way.

After her last infusion of cash, By A Thread has about $30 in her checking account. Any future purchases for this business will have to come out of this $30 and future sales. She can have my time, but not my money. I had to take a stand. I sure hope she makes it on her own.

1 comment:

  1. As a former business owner, and the mother of 2 children, I feel your pain. The concept is called Tough Love I believe. You will both benefit by it in the long run!

    ReplyDelete