Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Numbers

One thing I’ve learned about my dysfunctional relationship with money is that I avoid being aware of where I stand financially. I enable myself by refusing to look at my reality. I’m like a little kid who thinks she can change what she doesn’t like by pretending things are the way she wants them to be.

The FI program I want to follow (FI standing for variously Financial Independence, Financial Integrity, Financial Intelligence) requires paying attention. It’s a sort of meditation on money and my relationship with it. One of the steps of this program is to record every cent that goes in or out of your life. I was horrified when I first heard this. I’m still horrified, although I grudgingly see that it will be useful. I’ve actually done it for weeks at a time, but not recently. I haven’t even balanced my checkbook in close to a year.

So that is the next task that I’m committing to in the interest of financial recovery. It’s now Sunday, February 27, 2011. I commit to balancing my checkbook with the last years worth of statements and I will do this within a week. Meanwhile, I thought I’d share a few vital statistics in my financial life. Hopefully, we’ll all be able to see how they change for the better.

As of 2/27/11 here are my bank balances:

Savings (balance required for my credit union accounts) - $25.28

Checking account - $880.78

Money Market Account (really just a savings account) – $3,407.72

Paypal account for Etsy business - $7.59

Business checking account - $8.91

I make $11.50 per hour as a Nurse’s Aide and I’m scheduled to work 36 hours per week. Earlier in the winter I had a part-time job on the weekends. I will undoubtedly have to do that again, because I spend more than I make in my regular job. I also have a little business making & selling quilted items. (http://byathread2.etsy.com) Another place where I spend more than I take in.

I think that about does it for vital statistics. Onward!

2 comments:

  1. I don't balance my checkbook either, but I check online about every 3 days so I know nothing strange is going on.
    I used to track every tiny little thing we spent, for a while, just to make see where it was all going. I do that every year or so, to make sure nothing gets out of hand. Right now I am too lazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Mary!

    I've been a Dave Ramsey follower for a while now. He says a few (politically-oriented) things I vehemently disagree with, but I really like the vast majority of what he has to say.

    ReplyDelete