Thursday, July 28, 2011

Next Steps

My life is changing. I didn’t choose this particular change at this particular moment, but here it is. Next week I will be saying goodbye to a client that I’ve spent many hours with. I will visit her in her new home, but I will only visit. I’m very sad to be saying goodbye to her.

Almost immediately after I heard that this client was moving, I decided to use this change as an opportunity to test the viability of my business. I was excited, I was terrified, I was very worried about money. One thing I’m sure of is that when I’m paralyzed with worry about money, this worry is usually a smokescreen for whatever feelings I’m having. Rather than feel the sadness of saying goodbye to my client, I might panic about losing the work hours. I felt that happen a bit, but I knew what I was doing, so it didn’t continue for long. Awareness is a beautiful thing.

I have made plans for the business. I’ve already started working harder creating products to sell. I have a few custom orders that I’m working on. I’ve made a financial plan so I will know whether or not I’m successful enough to continue on this path. For the month of August, the plan is to get through the month, pay all my bills and don’t use any of the $2000 I have left in savings. It may work, it may not. If I reach the point where I need to spend some of my savings, I will need to find additional paid work – another client or two, another part-time job. I will do whatever I need to do to take care of myself.

Meanwhile, I’m percolating with ideas and energy for my business and I’m feeling the sadness as I say goodbye to my friend.

2 comments: